NMVA Boss Reveals The Reason Why P Square Were Not Nominated.




The nomination list for the Nigerian Music Video Awards was released few weeks back and it attracted words from a lot of critics saying the it was unfair for the organisers to exclude A-List musicians like P Square et al. 

Callly Ikpe, the boss of  Nigerian Music Video Awards has come out to clear the air concerning the exclusion of P Square and some other Artistes. According to him, “I personally like PSquare and they have good videos. It is not my fault that they weren’t nominated in any category this year. For some reasons best known to them, the artistes said they wanted to be excused from any award this year. We were only respecting their decisions,” 


He further revealed that he frowns at obscene videos which is now a trend in the Nigerian Music Industry, Cally Ikpe said those who celebrate obscenity only try  to hide under that to escape from their lack of imagination and talent.


“We campaign against such. If your video is in that category, it automatically disqualifies from entering for NMVA. You cannot offend people’s sensibilities. It is forbidden for a video that is obscene to earn a nomination. If it is done, then it is regrettable. We frown at what Nigeria frowns at. What the regulatory body doesn’t support, we don’t support it.” He said.

Cally Ikpe who has been into the music awards for seven years revealed that some artiste try to influence the process in order to win an award. He said some come directly to him while others try to go through their managers.

  “There won’t be any amount of money that will erase the impression that people pay for the awards. If I sit back and watch the awards ceremony years later, I wouldn’t even have respect for who picked up the award. I would have done a great disservice to them. I have credible people as judges. These are people you cannot intimidate.


“I wouldn’t want to lose credibility. I want people to rely on me. That is the reason I feel insulted when people come to me to tell me that they want to win the award this year. If I knew I would influence the award, then why would I need the judges? That is why people won’t respect us as Nigerians.”
Previous Post
Next Post

0 comments :